College and university students not only receive funding for their education—$3,500 in scholarships—but also earn hourly wages. Best of all, they’ll garner real-world career experience in the Kalamazoo County business community.
The program is open to incoming juniors, seniors and graduate students who will be full-time students in good academic standing with their school during the fall semester of the year in which they’re applying. Students must attend one of the following colleges or universities:
- Kalamazoo College:incoming juniors, seniors and graduate students
- Western Michigan University:incoming juniors, seniors and graduate students
- Kalamazoo Valley Community College:incoming second-year students
- Davenport University (Kalamazoo campus only): incoming juniors and seniors
- Michigan State University: incoming juniors, seniors and graduate students who graduated from a Kalamazoo-area approved high school
- University of Michigan:incoming juniors, seniors and graduate students who graduated from a Kalamazoo-area approved high school
Eligible internships must be geographically located in Kalamazoo County.
How it Works
Students apply for internships directly through participating companies each January. Employers will work independently to hire interns, using their own established criteria and hiring methods. Based upon availability, each participating company may have up to two internship positions per program year.
Once an intern is hired, he or she will work for the company for a minimum of 400 hours between April 15 and August 31. (Typically full-time for 10 weeks, but can be customized to suit the needs of individual companies and interns.) Companies must pay interns at least minimum wage.
Upon successful completion of the internship, as directed and decided by the employer:
- Both the company and the Monroe-Brown Foundation will pay the intern a $500 bonus, for a total of $1,000
- The Monroe-Brown Foundation will provide one payment of $2,500 at the end of the first successfully completed semester following the internship period
- For tax purposes, all payments from the Monroe-Brown Foundation must be made directly to the school and applied to the student’s account
Host an Intern
Do you represent a company that would like to host a Monroe-Brown Intern? Click here to submit an application.